Bariatric surgery can be considered for people with BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2 or BMI ≥ 35 kg/m2 with at least 1 adiposity-related disease (Obesity Canada). Your doctor will discuss further with you.
Quotes From The Medical Community:
- “Overeating doesn’t cause Obesity, Obesity causes Overeating .” Dr. Lee Kaplan
- “Struggling with weight is a complex, biological, neuro-hormonal, primarily genetically conferred, powerfully environmentally influenced real medical condition” – Dr. David Macklan
- “Obesity is a chronic disease requiring enhanced research, treatment, and prevention efforts”. — Canadian Medical Association
- “Obesity is a chronic and often progressive condition not unlike diabetes or hypertension”. — Obesity Canada
- “Obesity is a chronic disease, prevalent in both developed and developing countries, and affecting children as well as adults”. — The World Health Organization
“Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately one in three Americans”. — The American Medical Association